Monday, September 24, 2012

Marathon Cheerleader

So this weekend I had my first opportunity to be a marathon cheerleader instead of a marathon runner. We took the family to Montreal for the weekend as my husband was registered to run the Montreal Rock 'n' Roll Marathon.  I was originally planning to run however logistics with the kids didn't make it possible.  Instead the kids and I ran the P'Tit Marathon 1km run and then we ran around on the course to cheer on Daddy.  

The kids we super excited to be running their own "marathon".  They each got their own race shirt, bib and even a finishers medal at the end.


I am so happy that my kids love to run!

After the kids were done we went to the 21km point along the course to watch for Pete.  I saw that he crossed the start line at 8:46 so I knew he should be at the half way point around 2hrs. We waiting for a while then saw him coming! The kids were so excited to see Daddy running! He was looking strong and under the 2hr mark so he was on track to meet his 4hr goal time. 

We walked up the course a bit and waiting for him again around the 32km point  .  I saw the 4hr pace bunny come and go with no sign of him so I started to get  little nervous for him.  Soon he came around the corner and again he was looking strong. Gave the kids a big hug then off he ran!

We waited by the finish just before the 42km point.  I knew he had to finish by 12:46 in order to meet his 4hr goal time.  He came racing around the corner and didn't even see us.  I knew he would be close! The kids and I ran to find him in the finishing area. I pulled up his stats on the Sportstats App that I just installed on my phone and saw that he finished at 3:59:43 just as I found him. I was so excited for him! (as was he of course!)



So I learned that as difficult as it was to be a cheerleader and not be able to run, it sure is fun watching and cheering on someone else - especially when that someone else is my hubby!  Watching him achieve his goal time has motivated me to push myself just a little more! I am now trying to decide what my next half marathon should be, in my training routine for the Disney World Goofy Challenge in January 2013!

I am so proud of my hubby Pete!

You never know where inspiration comes from. Struggling with how to take the next step or where to start? Maybe just start with watching. Go cheer on the runners in a local run or check out and outdoor boot camp and you never know,  maybe you'll be the one being cheered on next time!

As always,
Run Happy!

Jamie
www.facebook.com/inspirefitnessandwellness

No comments:

Post a Comment